How to download books to Amazon Kindle e-reader?
Great Now that you have an e-reader, you can enjoy your favorite books anywhere. But first, you need to download the content to your new Kindle. We know how stressful this can be, so we have created a complete guide on how to overcome this challenge.
First of all, you need to know that if you bought the device from the Amazon Store, it is automatically linked to the account from which the order was placed. It is important to make sure that it is your account, because if it was a gift from someone close to you, the account will be theirs. Books purchased through Amazon cannot be transferred to another account.
So the first way to upload an eBook to your Kindle is through your Amazon account
- Connect the device to your WiFi network.
- First, you need to make sure that the device’s account matches the account you use on the Amazon Store. To do this, go to Settings and My Account. You can find the menu by clicking on the three dots/lines in the upper right corner of the screen.
- If the device is not registered yet, you can do so as follows:
Click the Register button.
Enter the username and password for your Amazon account.
If you cannot get this right, you can ask Amazon tech support to do this for you by providing your Kindle’s serial number.
- If your device is already connected to an Amazon account, you can deregister it.
Enter your new username and password.
Why is it important to register your Kindle?
First of all, it is the easiest way to transfer books. You can purchase books from the Amazon Store directly from your Kindle. Your account also keeps a history of all your purchases, and you can transfer all your books to your new device. The account allows Amazon technical assistants to help you in case of any difficulties.
Can I use my Kindle without registering it?
Yes, you can use it, but you cannot upload your books purchased from the Amazon Store. Even if you download them and transfer them to the device with a USB cable, you will not be able to open them on the reader.
Transfer books from your Amazon account.
- Open your Amazon account on a computer.
- Go to the Content Library menu
- Select All Books
- Now all you have to do is transfer the books to your device using the Transfer to Device option. A window will open with a list of all devices connected to this account and you can choose where to transfer the books.
How to download books to Amazon Kindle with a USB cable
If your Kindle can not connect to the Internet, you can also transfer books using a USB cable and a computer.
- Download the books you want to your computer.
- Connect your Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came in the box with your device. On some models, you may be asked to confirm and enter the Kindle device’s password. If you connect a Mac computer to your Kindle, you must first install a file transfer program on Android.
- Open the Kindle’s internal storage directory on your computer. You can open the connection just like any normal USB connection.
- Once you open the Kindle drive and the Books folder, you can transfer the selected eBooks to the device. This is done by copying and pasting them into the folder or by simply dragging and dropping the books into the folder.
- When you are done with the transfer, do not forget to disconnect your computer and Kindle safely. Do not disconnect the USB cable first. To do that, right-click the device icon on your computer and select the Disconnect/Eject option.
Downloading books to Amazon Kindle using the Send to Kindle option
To do this, you will need a Kindle work email address. This address is unique to each device and is very handy for transferring files not purchased from the Amazon Store.
You must have registered your device with Amazon to use this feature.
- To check the service email address of your Amazon Kindle, you need to open the corresponding Amazon account on your computer and select Account Devices/Devices from the Account drop-down menu
On the page, you will have the option to select the device you are interested in.
In our case, directly select Kindle, as this is the e-reader associated with this Amazon account. The second icon shows all other devices, for example, a phone with an Amazon app installed.
You select/click Kindle and a list of required information is displayed. Service email, device model, registration date and software version.
The second way to find out what your work email is is directly from your Amazon Kindle.
To do this, open the menu and go to your account. In the window that appears, you will see your reader information. At the very bottom, you’ll find the Send to Kindle option and your work email address is listed there.
- Once you know your device’s email address, you can start sending files to your e-reader. This is done in a normal email, and in the recipient field you enter the business address of your Kindle.
- You select the files you want to send and upload them as attachments to the email. Depending on the size, you can attach up to 25 files.
- You send the message and you are done. When you turn on your Kindle and it syncs (it must be connected to the Internet to do this), it automatically receives all the files you sent it.
You can use all of these content transfer options if you want to transfer your books from your old device. Of course, the easiest way is to sync them with the same Amazon account, but if you do not have that option, you can simply transfer them with a USB cable.
You are ready to dive into the world of books at every turn. Your Kindle will serve you for many years and will not let you down for a second.
More about e-readers